CITYWIDE CURBSIDE COMPOST
PROJECT LEADER: Jim Bauer
TEAM MEMBERS: Sean Leach, and all the members of the Beverly Waste Reduction Committee
Frequently Asked Questions
HOW MANY PEOPLE HAVE PRE-ENROLLED? As of July 20: 900! Keep spreading the word!
- WHEN DOES THE PROGRAM START? September 2017
- DO I NEED TO PRE-REGISTER? Yes. The new citywide program will replace the pilot program, so even pilot program participants must pre-register. Pre-registering does not obligate you to participate in the program, but it’s necessary in order for us to know how many people are interested so we can negotiate the price. You may click here to pre-register now!
- HOW FREQUENT ARE PICKUPS? Curbside pickup is weekly, every Tuesday, all year long, rain or shine, regardless of Monday holidays
- ARE BINS PROVIDED? Yes. Every participant will be supplied with a wheeled 13 gallon curbside cart like the one pictured above. We’re working on making them free. If not, they will only cost about $17.
- WHO IS THE CONTRACTOR? : Black Earth Compost, serving Beverly, Salem, Newburyport, Manchester. www.blackearthcompost.com
- WHAT CAN I COMPOST? Black Earth is a professional composting facility, so you can compost much more than you can at home. Virtually anything organic is compostable in a professional compost facility: ALL food waste (including meat, bones, shellfish, etc), compostable bags and utensils, soiled paper (paper towels, tissues, napkins), soiled cardboard (like pizza boxes), wine corks, wax paper, parchment paper. DO NOT INCLUDE yard waste (which is often contaminated with chemicals and pesticides and should go to the Standly street composting facility), no plastics of any kind, no cartons of any kind (milk, juice, soup etc), no diapers, animal waste, or cat litter. For more information, click here to see Black Earth’s composting guide.
- WHAT DOES IT COST? The more participants we have, the lower the cost will be. Our goal is to enroll 1,000 participants. If we do, we should be able to bring the cost down below the $67 per year the pilot program participants pay now.
- DO I GET ANY FREE FINISHED COMPOST BACK? YES! Every spring, 13 gallons of pristine, beautiful, nutritious black earth soil will be provided to each household that wants some.
- HOW DO I SIGN UP? It is essential that you pre-register. By pre-registering, we can find out the number of people interested in participating, and can then negotiate the final price. Click here to pre-register! Once everyone has pre-registered, we will determine a final price. All who pre-register will be notified via email what the final price is, and will be given instructions on enrolling online. It will be a very simple process.
Thank you for your interest!!
PRE-REGISTER NOW AT