Frequently Asked Questions
HOW DO I ENROLL? Simple! Click this link for the enrollment form: blackearthcompost.com/beverly Complete the online form, submit it, and you’re on the way!
- WHEN CAN I SIGN UP? Whenever you want, the program is open enrollment!
- WHAT DOES IT COST? $35 every six months, with a $20 rebate ($5 discount on your quarterly trash bill) from the city for property owners. That brings the annual cost to under $1 per week! In addition, if you are referred by a friend, you will each receive a $10 bonus check! Make sure to put the full name of the person who referred you into the form when you sign up.
- I LIVE IN A CONDOMINIUM OR APARTMENT. CAN I PARTICIPATE? Yes. You may have to check first with the condominium association or building management. But from our end, as long as you have an address, you’re good to go.
- I OWN A SMALL BUSINESS IN BEVERLY. CAN I PARTICIPATE? Yes. You should contact Black Earth directly to discuss details.
- HOW FREQUENT ARE PICKUPS? Curbside pickup is weekly. There are three different collections days depending on where you live, and they do not necessarily correspond to your regular trash day (totally different program and service provider). Consult the map below to determine your collection day.
- ARE BINS PROVIDED? Yes. Every participant will be supplied with a wheeled 13 gallon curbside cart like the one pictured above, and a countertop bin. These will be delivered to you by Black Earth once you enroll and pay.
- WHO IS THE COMPOST SERVICE PROVIDER? : Black Earth Compost, serving Beverly, Salem, Manchester. Black Earth Compost has been the service program for the pilot program the past two years.
- WHAT CAN I COMPOST? Black Earth is a professional composting facility, so you can compost much more than you can at home. Virtually anything organic is compostable in a professional compost facility: ALL food waste (including meat, bones, shellfish, etc), compostable bags and utensils, soiled paper (paper towels, tissues, napkins), soiled cardboard (like pizza boxes), wine corks, wax paper, parchment paper. DO NOT INCLUDE yard waste (which is often contaminated with chemicals and pesticides and should go to the Standly street composting facility), no plastics of any kind, no cartons of any kind (milk, juice, soup etc), no diapers, animal waste, or cat litter. For more information, click here to see Black Earth’s composting guide.
- DO I GET ANY FREE FINISHED COMPOST BACK? YES! Every spring, 12 gallons of pristine, beautiful, nutritious black earth soil will be provided to each household that wants some.
Thank you for your interest!! And don’t forget to let others know! ANYONE WITH AN ADDRESS IN BEVERLY CAN SIGN UP NOW AT ANY TIME!